• Login:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

Viscosity and brand of engine oil ?

Just wondered what people who service their own cars use and does anyone know what dealers put it in or does it vary from dealer to dealer ?

I plan to use 0W20 but I'll have to ask what the dealer put in when they service it for me ?

So what do you all use and why ?

Thanks
    Castrol Edge 0w30. Been used since 9000 miles and now approaching 36000 miles with no known issues.
    Was going to switch to Fuchs Titan Pro S 0w20 at this service due to me now having a shorter commute but I see it’s been discontinued so I’ll just be putting more of the Castrol stuff in.

Thanks
    5w-30 is cheap and better if you run at track. I did put last week mobil 0w-40 (mobil 0w-40 is almost 5w-30 weight) because here is now +30-35c days and i have trackdays... I change back to 5w-30 when trackdays are over.

Thanks
    I use Liqui Moly 5W-30 fully synthetic and change every 5k miles with engine flush and new filter, it stays really clean for the first 2500 miles.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_T View Post
    I use Liqui Moly 5W-30 fully synthetic and change every 5k miles with engine flush and new filter, it stays really clean for the first 2500 miles.
    Thats good! Black oil is not indicator that oil is wear or bad. It just have some impurity in it. Its better have "engine junk" in oil than inside engine.

But yes, oil is so cheap that why take risk if you drive it hard. If drive normally, stock 10k? (15 000km in here) interval is ok.

Thanks
    My oil of preference is Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30, I've use Mobil 1 in my other car for six years I'am sticking to what I know.

Which oil is the best is very subjective some swear on brand "A" others brand "B" I think as long as you stick to a quality known brand and adhere to the service intervals (shorter if you like) then there is little to be concerned about.

Thanks
    Appreciate the replies and to be honest I thought more people would use 0W20, I take it that 5W30 is one of the grades recommended by Suzuki?

I currently run 5W30 fully synthetic in the Focus, Castro Magnatec. Be interesting to see what the dealer puts in it when they service it ?

Thanks
    Yes 5w-30 is a recommended grade, in the handbook page 7-12 it shows the various grades of oil and the temperature scale where they are used.

I'd ask the dealer beforehand.

Thanks
    I've been using Motul 300V 0-20W, which although expensive, is superb. Engine noticeably quieter than any other 0-20 I've used, and making great power.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lunar tick View Post
    I've been using Motul 300V 0-20W, which although expensive, is superb. Engine noticeably quieter than any other 0-20 I've used, and making great power.
    It feels like it. But you cant feel so small difference. I dont see anything difference in power or sound in different viscosities...