• Login:
    Thanks

Just bought a SSS 09 with 150 000km, issues and what should i look out for

Hello, i have just bought a used SSS 09 with around 150 000km on it. The car is in pretty good shape except some usual rock hits from highways etc.
    The car went immidiately to my friend because of rod knock, so it is currently being repaired. So far i have encountered 2 issues, rod knock and basically not working handbrake.
    Are there any issues that might come up in the future? I have bought Motul 300V 5W30 for the engine, Millers CRX 75W90 for the gearbox and K&N HP1003 oil filter to do the basic maintenance.
    It was in authorized service like 6 times from 2009 to 2012, then no records, it also looks like it was sitting in the garage for a helluva long time after some kind of major overhaul.
    I know it uses mechanical shims/tappets, so i should probably check the valve clearances (?). I am not sure about the handbrake if i should replace the cables or just try to tighten them up (according to service manual). Next thing is the fuel, i know that 98+ is required, but the stations around the place where i bought it had only 95, so i took that, can it damage the engine in any way? I should probably check the spark plugs for excessive carbon presence and check the pistons when i'm at it. I am gonna probably put there some decarbo stuff into the fuel and run it on full throttle the get rid of any carbon anyways. I am also going to run Atomium, stuff thats added into the oil and helps restore metal surfaces (increases compression etc., tested to work on my old racecar). I also heard complaints about some ECU prompt code and bad cats/lambda sensors, is that a concern?
    For the mods, i am doing intake+catback (classic normie mods), some wheel spacers, interior mods, shift knob and similiar crap. I am planning to get a light ECU remap for a bit more performance. Maybe tuned exhaust manifold with cat from somebody like RRP or Monster Sport in the future. I cannot afford any coilovers because of the crappy roads, so i am not touching that. I might look on some sway bars (are those even helpful unless i'm a hardcore racer?).
    Thank you very much
    David
    (sorry if its in a bad category)
    Edit: Does the excessive rear tire wear affect my car too?

Thanks
    The gearbox is a potential weak spot, so changing the oil should at least help. The ECU can also light up the dash, so watch out for that.
    A fuel cleaner is a good idea & use the best fuel you can find.
    Some of the other members should be able to help you more.

Welcome onboard !

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Desmo For This Useful Post:

DaveK (30-03-18)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
    The gearbox is a potential weak spot, so changing the oil should at least help. The ECU can also light up the dash, so watch out for that.
    A fuel cleaner is a good idea & use the best fuel you can find.
    Some of the other members should be able to help you more.

Welcome onboard !
    Thank you (^∇^)
    I was thinking about getting one of the OBD2 BT adapters and Torque Pro, so i could see what is the ECU saying if there is an issue.
    Most balls-to-the-wall fuel here is 102 octane Aral, so think i'll go for that.
    What do you mean by fuel cleaner? Like an inline fuel filter ?

Thanks
    Yeah, it might be an idea to stick some Redex-type treatment through the system. I would imagine your model would have an inline fuel filter already, but not sure on that one. If it does, could be worth inspecting and replacing if dirty.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Desmo For This Useful Post:

DaveK (01-04-18)

Thanks
    Yeah, it might be an idea to stick some Redex-type treatment through the system. I would imagine your model would have an inline fuel filter already, but not sure on that one. If it does, could be worth inspecting and replacing if dirty.
    I checked the service manual and the fuel filter is inside the fuel pump assembly which is inside the fuel tank, so i have no way of inspecting that without taking the tank off the car.
    I'll check the Redex if its available here.

Thanks
    Okay, so i found Liqui Moly fuel system cleaner, which i suppose you meant? Also, my throttle body is a bit dirty, Liqui Moly makes some type of cleaner, should i clean it too? Or should i disassemble it and clean the whole manifold and TB? Thanks

Thanks
    I've never used Liqui Moly Dave, so can't really comment on it. As for the throttle body, it probably would benefit from a good clean too. The rest is way out of my knowledge zone, but maybe others have experience ... ?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Desmo For This Useful Post:

DaveK (10-05-18)

Thanks
    I've never used Liqui Moly Dave, so can't really comment on it. As for the throttle body, it probably would benefit from a good clean too. The rest is way out of my knowledge zone, but maybe others have experience ... ?
    So, i used LM throttle body cleaner and fuel system cleaner.
    There was a lotta white smoke when cleaning the TB, so i think it should be fine for now. Fuel system seems OK after cleaning.
    I'm planning to mount CatCams, lighter flywheel and new (Stage 1 organic sprung) clutch, so i will clean the whole intake system including the valves properly when the engine is out.
    Thank you for all help and advice, they really helped me.
    Cheers
    Dave