• Login:
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks
    First wife was away for the weekend with her GF, so I got two days to myself, working on the roll cage. Reading this post you might not think I've got much to show for it, but this gives you an idea of how much time goes into building a race car, especially if you are an amateur.

From previous posts, you will gather that the cage has been fitted up, now it's time to weld. I'm using a TIG welder, which is slow and a bit "fussy" in terms of preparation, all surfaces need to be cleaned with acetone, and joints beveled. So I pulled all the tacked in tubing out on Saturday, beveled and cleaned it, and took the opportunity to weigh it. Here's what 31kg of roll cage tubing looks like:

I think it will end up about 34 kg with the boxed front foot mounts.

And after a day's TIG welding, it doesn't look much different. I decided to fully weld the main hoop with it's diagonal brace and harness mounts outside of the car, so I could weld it on the table, whereas the pros tack them into position inside the car. result was the unsupported leg of the main hoop (in the left of the photo below) pulled inwards from the heat of the welds around the harness bar, and is now sitting 15mm inboard of where I had planned. Hopefully I can heat opposite the weld and pull it back to it's intended position, if not, it's going to need lots of muscle power to correct.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sprinkles For This Useful Post:

optionup (06-05-18)

Thanks
    Duplicate
    Last edited by Sprinkles; 06-05-18 at 07:37.

Thanks
    You're welding your own cage! Thats impressive!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Highco For This Useful Post:

Sprinkles (13-05-18)

Thanks
    Thanks for your kind words Highco.

Given the wife was away this past weekend, I don't have a lot to show for my efforts.

I found some nice die punched bracing plates from an Ebay supplier at a good price, so ordered a pair to tie the front legs into the A pillar. For all you UK and Continental members, I've seen a UK guy who also supplies these.

I was not too happy with my first attempt at welding the thin plate to the thick tubing, so I carefully ground it off, turned it around and rewelded it using the so-called "lay wire" technique, which is a bit frowned on by professional welders, but good enough for this situation.

I did manage to clean up and paint most of the tubing with the satin black rattle cans, which did take a few hours of sanding and cleaning prep, none of which is very photogenic. Here's a pic of the plate welded on and painted.

And here it is sitting back in the car. The paint on both the plate and the inside of the A pillar will need to be ground off prior to welding

Last edited by Sprinkles; 15-05-18 at 08:54.

Thanks
    we all love a good gusset

Thanks
    Modest progress this weekend just passed. I've been travelling a lot for work lately, which means I get handed a long list of chores for the weekend when I get home. Managed to get on top of said chores, and get a couple of hours on the cage.

Sanded it back to bare metal, and planted it in the front yard as a piece of modern art.

A coat of paint from the Bunnings rattle cans and that's all I achieved for the weekend. I tried to miss the corners where the front legs and back stays are going to be welded.

Thanks
    Weldone..
    Be careful, you have painted the lawn

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Philfr View Post
    Weldone..
    Be careful, you have painted the lawn
    Thank you. My wife made the same point about the lawn..... As we are going into winter, it's going to take a while to grow out. I'm sure she will remind me of my mistake.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprinkles View Post
    Thank you. My wife made the same point about the lawn..... As we are going into winter, it's going to take a while to grow out. I'm sure she will remind me of my mistake.
    Superb work!
    Just paint the grass with green on top

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Joakim For This Useful Post:

Desmo (30-05-18)

Thanks
    I've been doing a little bit of work on the cage, then managed to put in a solid weekend's work this weekend.

Here's the position of the feed for the main hoop. Paint needs to be removed back to bare metal:

First part welded in place - foot plate for the main hoop:

Rear brace will be welded to the top of the rear wheel arch. This Ryobi tool is excellent for removing paint from tight spaces.

The front legs of the roll cage will sit on pedestals. This enables access to the top of the main hoop and front legs with the welder, before the entire cage is lifted into it's final position.

With the feet for the main hoop welded in, and the front leg feet sitting in place, the tubing is positioned using ratchet straps - lots of ratchet straps.

Ready to weld, with a hand rest clamped to the main hoop

And the first weld done joining the front leg to the main hoop. The front of the cage will be slid forward and lowered to enable access to the top of the main hoop to completely weld around all the joints.