• Login:
    Thanks

Is the Heat Shield above the back box necessary?

My exhaust was making a rattling sound. Took it to a mechanic. He just tore it off and said that's the job done for free. He was adamant it's not necessary to replace it! If it's not necessary, why did Suzuki install it? I thought this would be a MOT issue? EDIT: it's a 2013 Swift Sport.

Thanks
    Nope, my partner's Mazda 2 passed the test after I'd taken the rusty flapping heat shield off it. It's at the back so doesn't get that hot anyway.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Desmo For This Useful Post:

Swifty5 (12-01-18)

Thanks
    Cool! Thanks

Thanks
    When you park the car after a hard run, there's no airflow to dissipate the heat, and in the absence of the heat shield, it's going to radiate the heat straight into the trunk, as the muffler sits very close to the floor pan. We left the heat shield on the track car for this very reason while we were running the full exhaust. And yes it gets very hot, I've not measured it, but way too hot to touch.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sprinkles For This Useful Post:

Swifty5 (14-01-18)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprinkles View Post
    When you park the car after a hard run, there's no airflow to dissipate the heat, and in the absence of the heat shield, it's going to radiate the heat straight into the trunk, as the muffler sits very close to the floor pan. We left the heat shield on the track car for this very reason while we were running the full exhaust. And yes it gets very hot, I've not measured it, but way too hot to touch.
    Cripes! he just tore it off and binned it. Does it just click in or is it screwed in with bolts? what do I do?!

Thanks

Thanks
    It's held in with four 6mm nuts screwed onto captive studs. I have not got around to removing ours, here's a pic:

It's a shame that your mechanic destroyed yours, it's a 5 minute job to drop the rear muffler off, then presumably tighten up the loose nut(s) that were making the noise. Maybe you can get a replacement shield from a wrecker for not too much cost?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sprinkles For This Useful Post:

Swifty5 (14-01-18)

Thanks
    Sprinkles, I see you're in Australia! I'm in Scotland, UK so the temperature here should ensure it never heats enough to cause problems in the boot?

Thanks
    Dude, it really isn't a problem in this much cooler climate - don't worry about it ! You'd have to be ragging it round Knockhill on a very warm day and then leaving it parked in the sun to be anywhere near a problem.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Desmo For This Useful Post:

Swifty5 (14-01-18)