• Login:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Klippie View Post
    Oil changes are discussed on forums world wide and the keyboard mechanics will spout all kind of drivel about which is the best oil and how often to change it, remember the manufacturers spend millions developing engines and also know a thing or two about building them, what is recommended in the service schedule is what most stick too but if halving the oil change interval will do no harm what so ever but is it necessary or are you simply pouring money down the drain.
    The significant factor you are missing here is that extended service intervals are primarily to make the car more attractive to fleet operators, not because it will achieve the best life from the engine.

Thanks
    Yeah, I'd have to agree with that Mike. Long-life services are great news for the new operator/owner - not so great when you're buying used .....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
    Hi, engine flushes seem to be a hot potato for some forums - a marmite subject. Some will tell you the flushing oil is bad because it strips the engine of any oil during the process and risks a bit of wear, while also potentially leaving now 'unstuck' oil sludge in places you don't want it.

My personal thoughts are that an engine oil flush can be a very good thing for an older/high mileage car, leaving it feeling fresher and perkier than before. Not to mention cleaner ! But I wouldn't do it on a newer/lower mileage machine because it simply shouldn't need it ....

As for your choice of oil, keep an eye on the level because sometimes fully synthetic can be a touch overkill. If you don't do track days or have a highly tuned engine, quite often semi-synthetic can be more than enough. I've heard of a few older cars that started to use oil soon after changing to fully synthetic, simply because the piston bores were worn enough to allow the higher spec oil to slip through and burn off. Not saying this will happen to your car, just a friendly word of caution as something to keep an eye on.

In the meantime, enjoy that renewed performance
    Just checked on it like you advised and it's at the same level, so all seems fine, still perfectly clean after that flush👍

Thanks
    Glad to hear it Paul