• Login:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

Garmin Nav - no map update available?

Hi, I've just updated my Nav firmware to 4.10 and following this exported the config file back to my SD card so I could update the map. When I go to the Garmin/Suzuki site it lists the right unit under "my device" and says map out of date (2015.20). From My Device I go into updates and add-ons, it scans the SD card again - confirms its the correct unit and then tells me no updates available. Can anyone help with what I'm missing? Seems odd that it says its out of date but no map updates - did they really stop updating the map 2 years ago? I have the region set correctly on the bottom right of the page to show UK.

Thanks
    Andy

Thanks
    All seem too much like hard work, these in-built sat navs.
    My '08 Tom Tom, witch takes about 30 seconds to update is a dream.

Thanks
    You have to pay for the map updates anyway. Having done that, you'd probably find they're still not that up to date.
    I might replace my head unit with an Android Auto enabled one when the prices come down to something reasonable.

Thanks
    Yeah map updates are separate things that you have to pay for.

It downloads the whole map to the sd card and then updates that to the unit.

Thanks
    Mine is saying maps out of date when I log in! Then after it's checked the sd card I've no update available ???

I'm sure I updated mine in October last year so give it another month and I will try again.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire pud View Post
    Mine is saying maps out of date when I log in! Then after it's checked the sd card I've no update available ???

I'm sure I updated mine in October last year so give it another month and I will try again.
    I had similar issues initially updating maps. Below is an extract from a previous thread which was successful. You do have to purchase map updates from the Garmin website, so you need to set up an account. I updated my 2014 system in 2015 but couldn't see any difference so didn't update last year, so get a "map out of date" notification every 28 days but will do so in October as Garmin seem to have discounted maps during October.

"Finally had success after trying 8, 16 and 32 Gb cards , emails from Garmin and finally telephoned the Garmin support line, who were helpful and resolved the issue. In short the map files are 6.5 Gb so an 8 Gb card will suffice, mine is class 10. Follow the instructions in the link catflap has in his post copied here https://suzuki.garmin.com/suzuki/site/mapUpdateOverview but the difference is in the final step: when you purchase the maps and then download the maps instead of clicking "save" click "run". As you have the SD card in your pc/laptop with the "unique ID code" from the previous step the maps will automatically detect it and download the maps to your SD card. Download took nearly three hours update in the car took nearly an hour."

I'm on an ADSL connection so download speeds will obviously be quicker if you have fibre broadband.

Thanks
    Also one thing to note, make sure you are on the UK suzuki.garmin.com website.

I found I couldn't buy unless I changed the language using the link somewhere on the page to UK... wasn't obvious!

Thanks
    Just resurrecting this thread in case it's any use to anyone - the process for updating maps has been changed from the previous online one - it took Garmin over a month to bother responding to the ticket I raised with them with this information. You have to download the Garmin Express app which will read your SD card created using the old process. It then allows firmware and map updates as before - if anyone needs more detail and links for this I'll provide a how-too guide.

Does anyone know if there was a sale on maps during October as had been suggested earlier in this thread?

Thanks
    No map sale yet and nearly November!
    No way am I paying £70 for the update!
    I wish I could get a UK only map....

Thanks
    Just FYI, the Garmin 2018.30 map is freely available online for nothing if you know where to look. If you acquire the unlocked map, you can run it from your SD Card directly on the Garmin unit, rather than updating the inbuilt map and risk making an arse of it/voiding your warranty. Decide you want to change the map or revert back to the original? Just whip out the SD Card. Not that I would condone this of course, being piracy and all

I was a bit miffed when I purchased a 17 plate Swift SZ4 and it was supplied with 2015.20 maps on it. It's obviously old stock they were shifting as the new model Swifts had been released. Dealership wouldn't entertain updating it and said pay the £70 or whatever it was or just live with. Anyway, I've now got 2018.30 maps so all is good.

You can also run the free Open Street Maps as well, although when I tried these they were a bit hit on miss sometimes whether they would work.