• Login:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    I've heard that there's a code generator that can be used to add traffic too.

Thanks
    Sounds like I need to do some digging on this subject, I'd almost given up with the Garmin unit and reverted back to my trusty phone based apps - more convenient to use the head unit if possible. If my car wasn't in warranty I think I'd rip out the Garmin unit and stick something in which had Android Auto.

Thanks
    The Openstreetmap to Garmin apps look interesting, might have to give them a kick when my braincell is awake - would be a cracking way to get up to date maps whenever needed. If I do crack it, as the OSM is open source, I wonder if they could be made available to other people on the forum to use.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderbadger View Post
    The Openstreetmap to Garmin apps look interesting, might have to give them a kick when my braincell is awake - would be a cracking way to get up to date maps whenever needed. If I do crack it, as the OSM is open source, I wonder if they could be made available to other people on the forum to use.
    I'd love the OSM maps to be a long term solution, but I'd be surprised if you didn't lose a lot of functionality that way.

Thanks
    Initial test this morning with the OSM data running from SD card worked OK, map seems more detailed than the Garmin equivalent - need to try it on a faster SD card though as its a little delayed on loading. Used it on the way in to work (10 miles), also got it to plan a test route of a couple of hundred miles and it picked a sensible route. Will update once I've done some more testing.

Thanks
    Nice work Wonderbadger.

I bought a "Sandisk 16GB Ultra A1 microSDHC 16GB MicroSDHC Class 10 memory card", chosen because it meets the new application class standard for SD, so it should be fast. The part number is SDSQUAR-016G-GN6MA - if you search on Google shopping you should find plenty of sellers. I purchased mine from PicStop and I'm still waiting for it to arrive.

Does your Garmin play voice directions properly with the OSM maps? And do traffic updates show?
    Last edited by giblets; 16-01-18 at 22:22.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to giblets For This Useful Post:

Wonderbadger (21-01-18)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by giblets View Post
    Does your Garmin play voice directions properly with the OSM maps? And do traffic updates show?
    Thanks for the info ref the SD card - I do have quite a large collection of SD cards so will dig a high speed one out - for testing I just grabbed the first empty one.

Tested again on the way back from work, did notice a few junctions where voice instructions failed but the routing arrows and text were correct so not sure whats going on there. I'm wondering if theres an issue with the Garmin Mawson unit being quite low spec hardware and struggling with the amount of detail available in the OSM export. More digging required.

Not had chance to test traffic out yet as the route to work didn't have much traffic today.

Thanks
    As per what Giblets said, there is a code generator that allows you to get the Traffic Master lifetime subscription for nothing which I've done. (See pic) I've not tried it with openmaps yet though.
    20180119_151357.jpg

Wonderbadger - I got the same problem, some voice instructions would be missed and you don't get the detailed scenery pictures at junctions etc with openmaps. That's about the only advantage of using the unlocked Garmin maps, you get the updated voice instructions, scenery etc. I'm using a Class 10 Samsung card and it runs fairly quickly off this, but maybe not quite as good as the onboard map storage.

If anyone is interested more info I could point you in the right direction, but not wanting to break any rules on here and post it up public as of course it's not all kosher.

Update - You can also get the lifetime subscription for ITIS as well it seems.
    20180119_152830_HDR.jpg
    Last edited by Dez666; 19-01-18 at 15:33.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dez666 For This Useful Post:

Wonderbadger (21-01-18)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dez666 View Post
    Wonderbadger - I got the same problem, some voice instructions would be missed and you don't get the detailed scenery pictures at junctions etc with openmaps. That's about the only advantage of using the unlocked Garmin maps, you get the updated voice instructions, scenery etc. I'm using a Class 10 Samsung card and it runs fairly quickly off this, but maybe not quite as good as the onboard map storage.
    Dez,
    Thanks for the extra info - I've been chatting to someone who knows more about exporting OSM data than I do and he's going to have a look at tweaking an export to see if it helps. I've since moved my OSM maps onto a UHS1 card and it does load much more quickly so thats no longer an issue.

I am still having an issue with voice commands, one interesting thing I noticed the other morning was that I was getting voice commands on a couple of roundabouts which have only opened in the last couple of months so it seems quite random which junctions it recognises for voice and which it doesn't.

I haven't done any more digging on the Garmin maps front so will have a look into options for Garmin maps when I get chance.

Thanks
    Any chance someone could point me in the direction of these maps and generators please. Tried my usual haunts and no joy. Cheers.