• Login:
    Thanks

BMC OTA Install/review.

So after deciding what intake to buy i decided the one that gets the best cold air is the bmc ota airbox. Its not aluminum so doesn't heat up while stuck in traffic (as im in the south of France during summer months its nothing but tourists and traffic here will be a good test).

As far as the tube that goes into the intake goes its surprisingly very smooth inside. You can't tell from the outside but the inside is fairly smooth so no worries about turbulence.

As far as intake temp is concerned i had a guest staying over for a week when i received it so haven't had time to test it much. Really quick i did a small test for the IAT and got 27C at idle for a couple mins while it was about 22-23C outside. While driving it stayed at ambient temperature with a degree or so above. Will do more tests later on this week will let it idle for as long as i can to see how hot it actually gets and how well the carbon dissipates the heat.

As far as fitment goes its very close to perfect. It leaves a mark in the sound deadening under the hood (which is nothing to worry about its just thick cardboard). I have not seen a RHD with it on as the brake reservoir is on the right side of a LHD swift but it looks like it would fit just fine.

Installation was fairly easy. Remove the stock airbox/inlet hose and rubber reducer on the MAF housing. The bmc silicone elbow slides right onto the 70mm stock MAF and the other end onto the bmc airbox. The hose routing is a bit of a PITA. I did the best i could. On the bmc website it looks like the car has no AC line for a LHD vehicle. For a RHD vehicle im sure theres a bit more room to route the hose.

As far as performance def feels a lot smoother thru the rev range. A bit of power lose between 1-2000rpm but with a tune should hopefully be fixed. Without the hose the intake is incredibly loud and with the hose on its slightly louder then stock very sleeper. As far as gas mileage i drove from Grenoble to Nice using the Route Napoleon driving road and got 6.1L/100km averaging about 70-100kmh.

P.S. Idk if BMC did this on there car its not in the install picture but what i did to get direct air was cut out the honeycomb on the right side of the grill thats normally blocked off. I did this so air could directly go into the tube.

Onto pictures.

Here it is mounted to the MAF

The front hose inlet mounted with cut-out grill

First try at mounting it. Intake was hitting the sound deadening and hose was over the oil cap.

Rotated the intake and moved the hose over a bit. Bit cleaner.

Any questions or comments are more then welcome.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bluej511 For This Useful Post:

Desmo (12-03-15)

SSOC Grandmaster CTC Performance's Avatar
    Thanks

Don't forget we sell BMC ;-)

Thanks
    I know i would have ordered from you but convert gbp to eur and shipping im sure would have been an arm and a leg from the UK i didn't bother. The factory is 500km from me intake showed up in 2 days after the 10 day wait for it to be made between italian holidays and what not. I will say this though it is incredibly well made.

Thanks
    i had a universal carbon fibre bmc intake added to my last suzuki swift sport and it flew,gear changes were excellent but 50-70 onmmotorway was so relentlessly easy

Thanks
    May I ask, does the red colour silicone L hose already included in the OTA Kit??