• Login:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Engine oil flush

Hi,
    I have a Swift sport on a 57 plate with 57K miles and done my first ever engine flush. I took the old oil out first then filled with cheap oil and the flush solution than ran for about 15 mins, took it out of which was black then finally filled with 5W-30 Liqui Moly fully synthetic.
    The result was just outstanding and there is a very noticeable increase in torque on bottom end and it's really responsive. I'm so glad I did it, and would 100% recommend doing it.

Thanks
    Hi, engine flushes seem to be a hot potato for some forums - a marmite subject. Some will tell you the flushing oil is bad because it strips the engine of any oil during the process and risks a bit of wear, while also potentially leaving now 'unstuck' oil sludge in places you don't want it.

My personal thoughts are that an engine oil flush can be a very good thing for an older/high mileage car, leaving it feeling fresher and perkier than before. Not to mention cleaner ! But I wouldn't do it on a newer/lower mileage machine because it simply shouldn't need it ....

As for your choice of oil, keep an eye on the level because sometimes fully synthetic can be a touch overkill. If you don't do track days or have a highly tuned engine, quite often semi-synthetic can be more than enough. I've heard of a few older cars that started to use oil soon after changing to fully synthetic, simply because the piston bores were worn enough to allow the higher spec oil to slip through and burn off. Not saying this will happen to your car, just a friendly word of caution as something to keep an eye on.

In the meantime, enjoy that renewed performance
    Last edited by Desmo; 10-10-17 at 12:27.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
    Hi, engine flushes seem to be a hot potato for some forums - a marmite subject. Some will tell you the flushing oil is bad because it strips the engine of any oil during the process and risks a bit of wear, while also potentially leaving now 'unstuck' oil sludge in places you don't want it.

My personal thoughts are that an engine oil flush can be a very good thing for an older/high mileage car, leaving it feeling fresher and perkier than before. Not to mention cleaner ! But I wouldn't do it on a newer/lower mileage machine because it simply shouldn't need it ....

As for your choice of oil, keep an eye on the level because sometimes fully synthetic can be a touch overkill. If you don't do track days or have a highly tuned engine, quite often semi-synthetic can be more than enough. I've heard of a few older cars that started to use oil soon after changing to fully synthetic, simply because the piston bores were worn enough to allow the higher spec oil to slip through and burn off. Not saying this will happen to your car, just a friendly word of caution as something to keep an eye on.

In the meantime, enjoy that renewed performance
    What about following the service guide in the cars manual? is it 100% legit or common sense should be applied over time?

Thanks
    I would always recommend following the service guide IF it has sensible schedules. For example many people now know that just because a service isn't flagged up 'til say 19k mls, that doesn't mean it's good for the engine to have very used (probably black) oil supposedly protecting it for that long. Personally I would have the oil & filter changed half way through that mileage. Your engine will only survive in good health to high mileage dependant on use, climate and servicing. Can you imagine the state of an air filter in a car in Dubai after nearly 20k mls ? I'll bet it's not a pretty sight with all that sand to cope with !
    So in theory - yes, stick with the recommended oils, plugs, etc, but use a bit of common sense with regard to how long you leave the brakes unserviced or the gearbox oil unchanged.

Thanks
    waw 57k is too long to change your oil.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIFTER55 View Post
    waw 57k is too long to change your oil.
    That's not what he means mate - he means it was the first engine flush, not the first oil change.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
    That's not what he means mate - he means it was the first engine flush, not the first oil change.
    That's Correct my friend 👍 I didn't go 57K without an oil change 😂 Think the clue was I mentioned Liqui Moly 😂

Thanks
    I've used this place - http://www.theoillab.co.uk/ - to analyze oil from my other car which has a two year (20k miles) oil change interval one of the tests "Total Base Number" is basically the oils ability to neutralise the by-products produced by the engine the longer oil is run this figure drops as the goodness is used up, so after the two years in my car's engine the oil still had plenty life left.

Oil changes are discussed on forums world wide and the keyboard mechanics will spout all kind of drivel about which is the best oil and how often to change it, remember the manufacturers spend millions developing engines and also know a thing or two about building them, what is recommended in the service schedule is what most stick too but if halving the oil change interval will do no harm what so ever but is it necessary or are you simply pouring money down the drain.

Thanks
    The reason I mentioned it Klippie is because of feedback from various sources - garages, 'Honest John's website and from owners who've had issues directly as a result of 'long-life' servicing. Tired oil, gummed-up hoses, clogged filters & breathers, etc. When I had an Audi A4 Tdi , the services were approx every 20 k mls but I never left the oil & filter that long. Every 10k mls had the engine running sweet & giving great Mpg. No massive puffs of soot either. When I had the cambelt changed (2nd one) at over 120 k mls, they also checked the engine inside & the mechanic said it was one of the cleanest engines he'd seen at that mileage. That's one of the benefits of regular oil changes as far as I'm concerned. But each to their own

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Desmo For This Useful Post:

Klippie (14-10-17)

Thanks
    Can't fault your thinking.